Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any further questions that were not addressed here, please don't hesitate to shoot us an email for a quick response!
What is the max weight I can carry comfortably in a Waymark backpack and how can i extend the max carry weight?
- THRU Hip-less 38L, 40L, 42L max extended comfortable carry weight: 20 lbs
- THRU 38L, 40L, 42L with Hip belt, max extended comfortable carry weight: 25 lbs
- 27-30 lbs with a sleeping/sit pad insert against your back on the inside of the pack for resupply or large water carry sessions through dry, waterless areas
- WAYMARK LITE 50L with Hip-belt removed, max extended comfortable carry weight: 25 lbs
- WAYMARK LITE 50L with Hip-belt on, max extended comfortable carry weight: 30 lbs
- 33-35 lbs with a sleeping/sit pad insert against your back on the inside of the pack for resupply or large water carry sessions through dry, waterless areas
How do I measure my torso and waist for a Waymark pack?
FOR TORSO LENGTH: Using a flexible tape measure, measure from your pants waistline (which is typically right in line with the top of your hip bones) all the way up to your C7 vertebrae. When you bend your head forward while your back is straight, run your finger down your neck until you feel a bump a few inches above your shoulders. Measure to that spot then straighten your neck up in line with your back. That is your Torso length.
FOR WAIST MEASUREMENT: Simply use your pant waist size as your size, we've already done the math on our end to make sure your hip belt will have the proper amount of space between hip pads with the given waist size range. (For instance, a M/L hip belt will have anywhere from 8"-4" of space between hip pads with a 32"-36" waist size).
I've never worn a frameless pack, what are some tips for the best results?
The first thing to consider before anything else is, are you a good candidate for a frameless backpack. Here are a few key things to consider:
- Is your base weight generally 15 lbs or less?
- Consider how much more you will be adding with food/water and other consumables. In general you may be adding an additional 8 lbs, so use this to determine which Waymark pack works best for you.
- Do you plan on reducing your base weight?
- If you plan on reducing your base weight further, you may be a good candidate. Remember, that simply by switching to a frameless pack you may reduce base weight by an additional 1-4 lbs!
- Do you have any serious back issues?
- If so, you may not be the best candidate for a frameless pack.
How do i create a "frame" for a frameless pack?
There are a few items that you probably already carry that can be used to create a semi-rigid frame inside of the pack. Different types of sleeping pads can be used to do this:
- Inflatable sleeping pads, folded to the back panel width inside the pack with a small amount of air blown into the pad
- Thermarest Z-lite Accordion style foam sleeping pads
- Example: Using a full size version you can cut a section of 4 from the pad to use as a frame inside the pack against the back panel and the rest of the pad on the outside of the pack.
- Gossamer Gear Sit light Camp Seats
What is the turnaround time for a custom pack?
Depending on the extent of the add ons and custom options, standard turnaround time is 2-3 weeks. If you have a specific deadline or an upcoming trip, email us at email@example.com with more information and we will do our best to meet your deadline. As always, we have "In Stock" packs that are available for immediate delivery with USPS 2-3 day priority shipping.
Are Waymark backpacks waterproof?
While all Waymark Packs are built with waterproof Xpac and highly water resistant Nylon packcloth, seams are not sealed due to the sewing construction of the packs. As with any outdoor backpack, even DCF (Cuben Fiber) seam taped packs, it is still recommended to use dry sacks and an interior pack liner like a trash compactor bag, just to be safe.
I'm on the trail and I'm sick of lugging around this heavy "big Store Brand" pack, how do i get one of your packs out here man?!
Take a deep breathe my friend, we can coordinate with you on the trail to get your pack sent to you at one of your future package stops so you don't skip a beat. Your new pack will arrive and you can send your old one home at the same time.
Why do your packs cost as much as some of the framed packs from the big outfitters?
All Waymark products are currently made in the USA by hand in Salt Lake City, UT by hardworking elves. Elves love Egg nog, and it gets expensive. But seriously, We are a small company and make every pack by hand, no automated machines making 100's of packs a day or cheap foreign labor at pennies on the hour. We take great pride in taking the time to make your pack to order, just how you want it.
This is an investment in one of the most critical pieces of gear you'll take on the trail, your pack will make or break you depending on its ability to carry your load comfortably, to help you drop weight, and long lasting durability.